Academy awards quiz questions and answers, thanks to Basid for creating this brilliant set of academy awards quiz questions.
Academy Awards Quiz
This is a set of 50 academy awards quiz questions and answers.
1. company X was founded in 1872 in Batavia, Illinois. X went on to cast the first mold of the Oscar statuettes and continued their work till 1982. X is also credited with the making of the Vince Lom- Bardi trophy and Emmy Awards. X ceased its work in 2002. Identify company X.
Ans: CM Shumway & Sons Fountry
2. The Oscar show was postponed 2 times in its history. The 1st in- stance being on the 40th Academy Awards (to be held on 8 April 1968) and the 2nd one was on 53rd Academy Awards (to be held on 30 March 1981). What led to its postponement?
Ans: 1968- Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 1981- Assassination attempt of Ronald Reagan
3. The novel ‘Let Me Hear You Whisper’ by Paul Zindel was published in 1969. Which is Oscar’s award-winning film faced obligations of plagiarism from it?
Ans: Shape of Water
4. The Best Picture award-winning films are usually produced in the USA. Out of the 10 non-US films, 8 are from the UK, 1 from South Korea, and 1 from France. Which was the film which made into the list from France?
Ans: Artist (2011)
5. X is the only person in the history of Oscars to be nominated for best director, best actor, best screenplay, and best film (as a producer) for the same film, twice. X was nominated in these categories for ‘Heaven Can Wait’ and ‘Reds’. Id the person X.
Ans: Warren Beatty
6. X Pictures is a motion picture company founded by Megan Ellison in 2011. X was named after a mountain in Nepal, coincidentally also the name of a Hindu goddess. Though, they haven’t won any Academy Awards; they have received several nominations. Id the company X
7. Peter O’ Toolle is the actor with the most number of nominations without a win. Apparently, the person has been nominated for the Best Actor award for the same role in 2 different films (‘Lion in Winter’ and ‘Becket’). Identify the character.
Ans: King Henry II
8. Dudley Nichols- 1935 X- 1970
Marlon Brando- 1972 Id X.
Ans: George C. Scott- Award refusals
9. The film X was an adaptation of the 1952 novel by John Steinbeck of the same name X. It deals with the families of Trask and Hamilton. The film also attributed James Dean a certain distinction in the field of Oscars. Id the film and James Dean’s ‘achievement’.
Ans: Eden of East- He’s the first actor to be nominated posthumously for the Best Actor in Oscars.
10. The term X was coined by the columnist Sidney Skolsky to represent the Irish Americans in Hollywood. The founding members in X were Pat O’ Brien, his friend Y, James Cagney, Allen Jenkins, and Frank McHugh. The members never liked them to be called X, in-stead called themselves ‘Boy’s Club’. Id X & Y
Ans: X- Irish Mafia Y- Spencer Tracy
11. The English Planter Charles Leonard X, who migrated from Jamaica to the Bahamas in the 1800s, introduced the surname X in Cat island. He had 86 slaves and their descendants later used the sur- name X. One of the X later went on to become the first Black to win an Oscar for Best Actor. Id the actor.
Ans: X- Poitier; Sydney Poitier
12. The animated film ‘Shark Tale’, released in 2004 received widespread welcome by the audience but was criticized for the ‘God-father’ inner jokes in a kid’s movie. The voice for these characters was given by Will Smith, Angelina Jolie, X (as Don Edward Lino) & Y (as Sykes). Id X & Y.
Ans: X-Robert De Niro; Y- Martin Scorsese
13. The Best Actor of 74th Academy Awards was X for ‘Training Day’; only the 2nd black to win an Oscar for Best Actor after Y. Y too was present at the ceremony and received the Academy Honorary Award. Apparently, Z became the first African-American to win the Best Actress award in the same year for her film ‘Monster’s Ball’. Id X, Y & Z.
Ans: X- Denzel Washington; Y- Sydney Poitier; Z- Halle Berry
Shirley Booth, Julie Andrews, Barbra Streisand, Marlee Matlin
Ans: Women who won Best Actress on debut.
15. Id the person with the following accolades:
Most Oscars won by a person
Most nominations for a person in a single year Most wins for a person in a single year
Most consecutive awards for a person
Most consecutive Best Short Subjects
Most consecutive Best Documentary Award
Ans: Walt Disney
16. X accidentally caused the death of Tosca Roulien, wife of the actor Raul Roulien. Though X was acquitted of all charges, it was widely believed that X took the blame at the request of MGM manager Eddie Mannix for Y, who was known as ‘The King of Hollywood’. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- John Huston; Y- Clark Gable
17. In 1949, X won the award for Best Actress for ‘Johnny Belinda’ & became the only actress to win the award in a sound era without uttering a single word. Apart from this, X is famous for something she did in the film ‘You’re in the Army Now’. Id X.
Ans: X- Jane Wyman- Longest kiss in a film
18. In the 21st Academy Awards, X won the Best Director and Best Screenplay Award for the film, ‘The Treasure of the Sierra Madre’ (1948). In the same film, his father Y also was awarded the Best Supporting Actor. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- John Huston; Y- Walter Huston
19. The rare distinction to receive 2 consecutive awards for Best Actor is attributed to X for his films ‘Courageous’ (1937) and ‘Boy’s Town’ (1938). Id the person X.
Ans: Spencer Tracy
20. In 2010, X received the Oscar for Best Actress (Film: Blind Side) and the Razzies for Worst Actress (Film: All About Steve). X went on to receive both the awards on stage. Id X.
Ans: X- Sandra Bullock
Academy Awards quiz questions
Academy awards quiz questions, Academy awards quiz questions, and answers
21. X received the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance in ‘Prizzi’s Honor’ directed by Y (her father himself). This made X the 3rd generation of a family to receive Academy Awards. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- Angelica Huston; Y- John Huston
22. In 2001, the Razzies for Worst Screenplay was awarded to JD Shapiro. He later claimed that his film, ‘Battlefield Earth’ (2000) was described by John Travolta as ‘the X of Science Fiction’. Id X.
Ans: X- Schindler’s List
academy awards quiz, quiz on academy awards.
23. The autobiography ‘Paper Leaf’ (2004) written by X poured light on her relationship with Michael Jackson. X refuted all those claims & instead told her father Ryan had molested her physically and mentally. Id X & her claim to fame.
Ans: X- Tatum O’ Neal; Youngest recipient of an Oscar
24. ‘X- -All the Clouds Will Roll Away’, a song composed by George Gershwin in 1929, inspired Y to name her child, X. X won the Best Actress award for ‘Cabaret’ (1972). Interestingly, X’s mother Y (honorary oscar) & X’s father Z (Best Director- Gigi 1958) to have won Oscars. Id X, Y & Z.
Ans: X- Liza Minnelli; Y- Judy Garland; Z- Vincente Minnelli
25. X debuted as an actress in the film ‘Born in Flames’ (1983). X later acted in the music video ‘Reach’ too. But, X showed dominance in another field & went on to yield a milestone in 2010. Id X.
Ans: X- Kathryn Bigelow; Only woman to win Oscar for Best Director
1939- Fay Bainter
1943- Teresa Wright
1983- Jessica Lange
1989- Sigourney Weaver
1994- Holly Hunter
1994- Emma Thompson 2003- Julianne Moore 2008- Kate Blanchett 2020- X
Ans: X- Scarlett Johansson- Nominations for Best Actress & Best Supporting Actress in the same year
27. The film ‘Midnight Cowboy’ released in 1969 was the movie adaptation of the novel by James Leo Herlihy. It went on to win the Best Picture, Best Director & Best Adapted Screenplay in 1970. The film has a rare distinction in Oscars. What is it?
Ans: Only X-Rated film to win an Oscar for Best Film
1950- Anne Baxter & Bette Davies
1959- Elizabeth Taylor & Katherine Hepburn 1977- Anne Bancroft & Shirley MacLaine 1983- Shirley MacLaine & Debra Winger 1991- Geena Davis & Susan Sarandon
Ans: Both received Best Actress nominations for their actions in the same film
29. For performing as Wladyslaw Szpilman, X did massive transformations such as losing 30 pounds of weight, learning to play the piano, breaking up with a girlfriend, etc. This role later made him eligible for the Academy’s Best Actor Award making him the youngest to do so. Id X & film.
Ans: X- Adrien Brody; Film: Pianist
Academy Awards Quiz
30. Cate Blanchett was the first Australian to win 2 Oscars. She won the Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of X in ‘The Aviator’ (2004) and later the Best Actress for ‘Blue Jasmine’ (2013). The portrayal of X made her the only person to win an Oscar for portraying an Oscar-winning actress. Id X.
Ans: X- Katharine Hepburn
31. X won the Oscars for Best Actress for the film ‘Children of Lesser God’ (1986) & thereon went to become the youngest person to do so. X also was one of the participants in the 1st ever national wide TV ad campaign to support donations to Jews. Id X & her rare distinction in the field of Oscars.
Ans: X- Marlee Matin; Only deaf performer to win an Oscar
32. Connect & Id X
1976- X (‘Network’)
2008- Heath Ledger (‘Dark Knight’)
Ans: X- Peter Finch; Posthumously won Best Actor Awards
33. The record for most consecutive nominations for being Best Actress award is shared by X & Y- 5 times each. X was the first person to receive 10 nominations for acting & Y being famous for something she did in the 1942 Academy Awards (after this, even a new rule was implemented in Academy Awards Ceremony). Id X, Y, and Y’s act.
Ans: X- Bette Davis; Y- Greer Garson; longest speech in Oscars
34. The 1934 Academy Awards greeted controversy when the Best Actress nominations were revealed- Claudette Colbert, Grace Moore & Norma Shearer. X wasn’t included in the list for the film Y. So, the voters wrote her name purposefully in the ballot papers (though there wasn’t any nomination) & coincidentally came over Grace Moore to secure 3rd position. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- Bette Davis; Y- Of Human Bondage
Additional Trivia: After this, Price Waterhouse was hired to count the votes & the tradition to announce the 2nd & 3rd position was thereby stopped.
35. The casting of Billy Kwan in ‘The Year of Living Dangerously’ was a tough one. First, they started with David Atkins, moved on to Bob Balaban and then to Wallace Shawn. Later, they finalized with Linda Hunt which earned the person an Oscar in 1983 for the role. What was so special about it?
Ans: She became the first person to win an Oscar portraying a character of the opposite sex
Incoming searches – Academy awards quiz, academy awards quiz questions.
36. The host’s list of 1958 Academy Awards was:
John Lemmon David Niven Rosalind Russel James Stewart X
Ans: X- Donald Duck
37. The infamous opening act by Eileen Bowman and Rob Lowe in 1989 Oscars led to the introduction of something permanently in Oscars. The 61st Academy Awards also gave birth to the phrase X. Id the new added implementation and the phrase X.
Ans: A permanent host was set for the show after 1989’s event; X- ‘And the Oscar Goes to…’
38. The Academy Award for Best Actor was won by X for the film ‘Separate Tables’ in 1959. Apparently, X was the host of the show & to date the only host to receive an Oscar for Best Actor. Id X.
Ans: X- David Niven
39. X, nicknamed as ‘The First Lady of American Theatre’, had won the Academy Awards for Best Actress for ‘The Sin of Madelon Claudet’ (1931) and Best Supporting Actress for ‘Airport’ (1970). X established a new milestone on February 5, 1953, and thus became the first person to get into The title Y. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- Helen Hayes; Y- Triple Crown of Acting
Additional: She later won the Grammy award too & became the first woman to have an EGOT.
Oscar awards quiz | Academy awards quiz
40. X has appeared in a total of 5 films over a span of 6 years. They were ‘Godfather’, ‘Godfather II’, ‘The Conversation’, ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ & ‘Deer Hunter’. Thus, all the feature films in which X acted were nominated for the Best Picture Academy Awards. Id X.
Ans: X- John Cazale
1936- Best Actor
1950- Best Documentary
1968- Best Actress
1987- Best Documentary
1995- Best Live Action Short Film
Ans: 2 nominees won the awards as it was a tie of votes between them
42. In the 41st Academy Awards, the award for the Best Documentary Feature was awarded to X. But, on May 7 1969 X was disqualified as it had been first screened in 1967 & not in 1968. The award was given to the runner up Y on May 8, 1969. Id X & Y.
Ans: X- Young Americans; Y- Journey Into Self
43. In 1969, the award for Best Visual Effects was won by X for his film Y. It was the sole personal Oscar of the X & Y was called ‘their generation’s big bang’ by Steven Spielberg. X was the first to use Steadicam in Hollywood; for his other film Z. Id X, Y & Z.
Ans: X- Stanley Kubrick; Y- 2001: A Space Odyssey; Z- Shining
44. X was named after an industrialist by X’s father due to his fascination with the industrialist. X was the inspiration for Han Solo of ‘Star Wars’ & was the first brother-sister combination along with Talia Shire to be nominated for Oscars for the same film. Id X.
Ans: X- Francis Ford Coppola
Additional Trivia: Huston family and Coppola family have had the ability to win Oscars for 3 generations
45. Only 3 people in Oscar’s history has been nominated for both Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay. They are:
Charlie Chaplin Orson Welles
Ans: X- Sylvester Stallone
46. In the 30th Academy Awards, the film ‘The Bridge on the River Kwai’ received the Best Screenplay based on material from another medium. It was won by Pierre Boulle. But, the screenplay was originally written by Carl Foreman & Michael Wilson. But they weren’t screen credited. Why?
Ans: They were blacklisted due to their association with Communism or Communist sympathizers
Additional Trivia: Pierre Boulle never knew English.
47. person X received his 1st & 2nd nominations in the 49th Academy Awards. Later, X went on to win his 3rd nomination in the 88th Academy Awards, after a span of 39 years. Identify X.
Ans: X- Sylvester Stallone
48. In the 17th Academy Awards, Barry Fitzgerald won the Best Supporting Actor for his role Father Fitzgibbon in the film ‘Going My Way’. What made it a special one considering its nominations?
Ans: Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for both Best Actor & Best Supporting Actor for the same role in ‘Going My Way’
49. X won the Best Supporting Actress award for her role in the film ‘Network’ in 1977. What was special about her win?
And: X- Beatrice Straight; She acted only 5 minutes and 2 seconds in the movie
50. Tribute question to my Eshani:
In 2014, the Oscar host John Travolta called X as ‘Adele Dazeem’ before X was there to perform a song Y. The very next year X became the co-host with John Travolta & mockingly referred to him as ‘Glom Gazingo’. Id X and Y.
Ans: X- Idina Menzel; Y- ‘Let It Go…’ (Frozen)
Thank you for reading the academy awards quiz questions and answers and please share your opinions on the comments below about the academy awards quiz.
Credits for the Academy Awards Quiz – Basid
incoming Searches for academy awards quiz
Academy Awards quiz questions and answers
quiz on Academy Awards, academy awards quiz,
oscar trivia questions 2020, oscar trivia facts, ultimate oscar quiz, oscar trivia questions 2019, Oscars quiz 2020, oscar trivia questions printable, who has more academy awards nominations easyquizzy, which movie has more academy, awards nominations quiz answers, academy awards quiz, quiz on academy awards, history of academy awards quiz.